20051021

Where does the time go?

I have to admit, I have been a little lax in my responsibilities as a blogger. Fatherhood is a lot of fun but it takes up quite a bit of time. Hopefully it will be worth it and Sophie won’t grow up to be a pothead or the Unabomber or anything like that.

This week, I am trying to catch up with what we did last week. Until her high school graduation, I have a feeling that this is how it is going to be. Sophie had a very interesting week this week. We saw a dramatic shift in her personality. Last Friday night she began exhibiting a new behavior: wining. This is very different from the polar personality that we have experienced so far. She is usually happy and full of smiles. When she is not happy, she is screaming at the top of her lungs. Last weekend, we were treated to a lot of wining and screaming - no happiness. To add to the enjoyment, she freaked out her mother by not her eating. Given Sophie's eating habits, this must have been very hard on her.

I am happy to say that after a week she has mellowed some but we are left with some of the residual wining. The only things that saved us last week were the stuffed puppy (thanks Todd & Tracy!) she won’t let out of her sight and some “holistic” teething tablets (I swear these suckers must be laced with an illegal substance. I should begin passing them off on the irritable druggies I see on the train on the way to work.)

Somewhere within all this mess, we were able to attend dim sum with our group of Nov04DTC families (like the average person knows what this means) who all live in Chicago. We met earlier this year BEFORE we got our referrals and this was a reunion now that we are all home with the babies. We had a nice time and the food was very good (though Sophie was very miserable).

The event in Chinatown was capped by the ubiquitous “group photo”. You would think that the whole “red couch” experience would teach adoptive parents something about group photos (that they shouldn’t subject their children to them). I guess we are all just gluttons for punishment. I don’t know who started it but the minute there was one cry, this set of a chain reaction with the rest of the children. I actually caught the point where Sophie started to cry on film. It is actually kind of amusing to watch if you are disturbed like me.

I have to apologize as I didn’t have time for cutesy photoshops of Sophie as the Unabomber, nor did I photograph any of the derelicts that I ride the train with in order to better illustrate my story. Hopefully you will find it in your hearts to forgive a busy dad for posting only the photos of the dim sum brunch.

-Chris

No comments: