20080127

Chinese New Year - Happy 4705!!!

I'm starting to get used to the whole Chinese New Year thing. I know we have King and President's Day but it's kind of nice to have a "new" holiday that interrupts the the coldest part of winter, punctuating things between New Year's and St. Patrick's Day.

We spent last night at a New Year's celebration with the Oak Park FCC. We typically go to the Chicago FCC New Year's party but this is a vast improvement. Slightly more organized and 300 less screaming children, it was more my speed.

Sophie had a ball except for the Lion Dance - where she "assumed the position" typical to anytime there is a loud noise. We do this at fireworks, and if you recall, we did it a few weeks ago at Rainforest Cafe. Also, please note the photo. Sophie could only handle being in her cute Chinese outfit so long before she just had to change into her moose shirt. I just didn't have the heart to break it to her that it's the year of the rat.
By far, the highlight of the evening was a head lice prevention seminar. This was followed by a handout of free shower caps and then all the kids got to shove their heads into an un-sanitized Chinese Lion that has been used for years as a cultural education prop by public school children (you would never have this problem if they were clean "Catholic School Lions"). It was actually quite exciting - kind of like a real-life Survivor only with small children acting as the contestants. We're going to wait a few days and check Sophie with a comb. I can't recall what the prize was though... ...boy I can't wait until Sophie starts school.

2 comments:

Vivian M said...

It looks like a fun evening! And I love the outfits. But I though Chinese New Year was in February?

Paynes in China said...

We started celebrating this week and it will stretch into mid-February. I believe the actual New Year is on the 7th but it is likely that I am wrong. Stay tuned for at least two more posts for CNY parties. Hopefully there will be free head gear at those events as well!