20080210

Lesson Learned - Part 2

Sophie has been very chatty lately. She runs around the house reciting stories, usually laced with all sorts of non sequiturs. She usually wants us to engage her in this play so we oblige as much as we can. Yesterday she picked up her doodle pad (one of those white boards with magnetic dust in them that you draw with) and asked Ileana and I if we could pay her for the groceries.

"6 dollars", she says. We were then each asked to sign the pad. She first went to Ileana and had her sign it. She then came over to me and explained where I had to sign: "Daddy, sign right there at the bottom", "O.K., here you go", after signing my name. "NOOOO, SIGN IT". "But Sophie, that IS how I sign it." While walking off in dismay: "AT THE BOTTOM!!!"

She returned to the room after erasing the signatures. Very calmly, she says, "Now sign it daddy, at the bottom" and points to the bottom of the screen. I proceed to sign my name at the very bottom. "Now mommy's name." "Well, go have mommy sign it", I say. "No, I want YOU to sign it." I oblige by signing Ileana's name just above mine. "NOOOOOOO! AT THE BOTTOM!!!" "Sophie, I'm sorry, I don't understand". Again walking away from me, in an exasperated voice: "I don't understand you daddy!"

1 comment:

Vivian M said...

Awwww. We don't understand Kerri half the time and it frustrates her to no end as we play charades until we can guess what she is talking about (while trying to remain serious and not break out laughing).