Here it is. The blog you have all been waiting for…. Sophie’s Gotcha Day!!!! Our day started with a quick ride to the Beijing airport. We got there with an hour and a half to spare before the flight. Things were definitely in our favor for a smooth day, or so we thought. Note the first two pictures: our destination was Nanchang, the capital of Jianxi province. Jainxi is not on the coast and the Nanchang airport should not have a big sign on it that says, “Fuzhou”. Our flight was re-routed due to bad weather. Fortunately, this only puts us off-
schedule for about 2 hours and we arrived in Nanchang with a whopping 20 minutes to ready ourselves to go and get the babies. I quickly showered, Ileana got her shit together (about as much as new parents can in 20 minutes) and we headed down to the lobby to gather to go and get the babies.Nanchang is interesting. It is located on the largest river in China. It is very industrial and many of the buildings look like
construction started several years ago and were halted last year. Concrete structure with rusting rebar is the norm. We are staying in a nice hotel (The Gloria) by the river (unfortunately we have the view to the alley as opposed to the river and tower on the other side. They even set up a bed for Sophie.Gotcha day is chaotic. Our total group consisted of the seven or so families that were in Beijing and an additional group of families already here to form a group of about 16 families. We were all loaded on this big bus and brought to the local civil affairs building to receive the babies. We
walked through room that had all of the girls in them to a waiting room beyond. We couldn’t find Sophie in the crowd but weren’t to concerned given the chaos. Then they start calling names and the parents come up and receive the girls.We were incredibly lucky. Sophie cried a little but once we gave her the little book that Ileana’s friend Lisa got her (good buy Lisa!!!), she was content. She was one of very few that was not crying. We then quickly got back on the bus and came back to the hotel. Ileana then “inspected” Sophie for any strange growths, extra limbs, etc. I am happy to say, she is intact and seem healthy, except for a
little cold and some rash marks (we can’t figure out what they are but will save worrying about it until we get back to the states).Ileana quickly bathed her and then threw her into my arms and ran downstairs to fill out paperwork. I quickly began to write and e-mail to the family telling them that we had her and before I could even log on, she had fallen fast asleep (see picture of Sophie and her sexy shirtless daddy!). Within a half hour, Ileana came back to the room to tell me there was a change in plan and we all had to go down to do paperwork. So, a sleeping Sophie and I came down and we finished the signing and fingerprinting.
We came back tot the room and Ileana got some instructions on mixing formula from our guide from Harrah’s, Betty, and Sophie was then wide awake and feeding. I took some time to run down to the grocery store. If you have been following my blogs, you would note that I think that everything in China is eventful… …even a trip to the store. I walked up the street and
saw this huge building with two girls in sequined dresses up on boxes dancing in front of a crowd of about 200 people in front of the store. Inside the store, Vivaldi’s Four Seasons was blaring and the store was crowded with shoppers – on a Monday at 9:00 pm. I just don’t get it. I spent about 8 bucks and came home with 8 bottled waters, a four pack of Dannon yogurt, 2 - 40 oz. bottles of Nanchang’s finest Nanchang Beer (which I am enjoying while I write this), 2 bags of dove chocolates, and 2 bottles of Pepsi (since meeting Eric Tolman, we try to stay clear of Coke products), and 2 cans of Guinness (which Ileana and I might enjoy later, when food arrives).Sophie has been laughing up a storm. She is settling in very well. Now, if we can only get her to sleep. Oh, good, she has just crashed out. We are now going to order room service and get at those Guinnesses
-Chris
16 comments:
I am sitting here at my office crying - I am so happy. (sorry guys, you will just have to work without me - I have better things to do today!)
That family picture is perfect - what a happy family. She is bringing so many smiles to so many people! Now you can start enjoying her!
Give her a great big hug and kiss from Grandma - and I will plan my trip to see her once I get the "high" sign.
Love and Kisses to all!
Mom (Grandma)
Dear Sophie, We are going to have lots of fun together when you come to Syracuse to visit me. I love you and can't wait to give you kisses and hugs.
Love your big cousin,
Jacob
Chris and Ileana we couldn't be happier for you two. She is so cute. I'm glad to here she is a happy little girl. And look at all that hair. She is truly a beauty. We can't wait til we all get to give her hugs and kisses.
Enjoy the rest of your time over there.
All our love,
Rob, Lisa, Jacob and Ryan
I just came home from picking Hannah up from camp and the first thing we did was check the blog! Like everyone else, I am crying tears of joy for you guys! Sophie is just adorable! Hannah is drawing her a picture right now. Sending you all lots of love!!
Sophie, welcome to our wonderful family. You are very lucky to have found such wonderful parents, and for your parents to have found such a special little girl. You have no idea how much love and joy you have brought to the entire family. I just saw great-grandma Payne the other day and all she did was talk about you. Ileana and Chris, I can't even put into words how happy I am for the both of you. Can't wait to see you all. Love to all!
Meg
Chris and Ileana, I am so happy for you! Shophie is adorable--look at her hair! You all look so happy
Chris, you are too funny! Dan wants to know where all the pubs you found in Beijing are. It sounds like you have been having a wonderful trip--the focus now changes to Sophie.
Dawn and Dan
I couldn't be happier for you guys. As a new dad, I'm glad to hear she's been so receptive to both you - taking her feedings nicely and sleeping right away. I could only imaging the anticipation and wonder you must have had whether or not she'd be so open to you both. Anyways, can't wait to see you guys in October.
Hi Ileana & Chris!
Sophie is just SOOOOO precious! I love her hair! Enjoy this special moment in your lives... it is just the beginning of special memories you are going to make for years and years and years to come.
All our love,
Kelley & Chris
PS.. Hurry up & come home so we can shower Sophie with lots of hugs & kisses!
Congratulations guys! Peace and blessings for your travels back home. Thanks for sharing this journey and life changing experience with the rest of us.
arlova
This is awesome. She looks so intrigued by the white people! I love the picture of her looking at Ileana. That is priceless bonding.
Noah had that same book and he loved it too. Actually he just liked to chew on it and make it crinkle.
I love the artistic photography in the mirror.
You guys are fortunate to not be breast feeding so you both can enjoy the celebration beer.
E and Chris, we are so happy for you guys..Sophie is just beautiful...more importantly, she is with you! I called Josh at work crying while I read today's blog (seems there is a lot of that going around on here today!)
Congratulations to you both..to the grandmothers and all the family. Sophie is already blessed with a great deal of love! I am going to try to print a couple of your pictures and bring them to Woodstock next week...
Enjoy your precious daughter...
Peace and love, Holly, Josh and Gabriel
Hi Chris, Ileana, and Sophie.. I must admit that I, too, got a little teary-eyed while reading about your day with Sophie... I am so happy for you. We can't wait for the two little Payne girls to meet one another and become fast friends. I look forward to reading more about your "Gotcha TRIP" and seeing you all in October.
Lots of Love,
Rhonda
Hi Ileana, Chris and Sophie!!
I just got back from my trip and was so psyched to catch up on yours. Congratulations on today's new addition, you guys look great and she is even cuter than expected. Have a wonderful time with her and I am really excited to pick you guys up on the 22nd.
Kim
I just came home from the beach and checked. She is Beautiful!!! You all look so happy and I was crying as well. We cannot wait to come out and play with her in person.
Love you guys!!!
congratulations! wishing you all happiness, love and laughter always.
caren, rick, zach and jake
I just came down from putting Claire to sleep and read your entry and saw the pictures. The picture of Sophie asleep in Chris' arms and the picture of Sophie looking up at Ileana made me so happy for the three of you. With those pictures its already impossible to tell who's happier, the little girl who now has big strong arms to feel safe in or the daddy and mommy giving the love.
Post a Comment